The latest catastrophe?
Broken transmission and clutch. AND flywheel spacer.
SO i was merging slowly onto the interstate in 5th gear and all of a sudden it sound like my transmission popped out of gear and made the most horrid grinding noise in the world. Long story short i towed it back to my house with my house with my room mates truck. I finally got around to tearing it apart to find out what happened.
Here are carnage pictures. (Sorry for them all being crapy cell phone pics, couldn’t find my better camera)
Clutch disc’s teeth on my ACT 6 puck unsprung completely stripped off…
This is what it SHOULD look like. (minus the busted out spring up top, was from my first RPS clutch that blew up on me)
Hard to see but transmission splines are messed too. Some actually look to be BENT
And my hacked up flywheel spacer.
The story with the spacer is that i didnt have a pilot bearing in. Basically it was something i did two summers ago. When i was putting this thing together with the original RPS clutch i had, i tried bolting the transmission up and it wouldn’t go on using the pilot bearing supplied by RPS. It wouldn’t go on all the way. Took it back apart and found the pilot bearing was hitting part of the transmission input shaft where the spline starts after the tip for the pilot bearing. So i think what happened was i took out the pilot bearing and never used it. I remember a friend telling me he never had one in his car either and it was fine. So i wasn’t TOO worried about it at the time. I think i figured the difference was that i was using an N/A z32 transmission instead of the turbo one which is what the adaptor plate setup was designed for. (i remember reading the were identical besides their clutches) Anyways thinking back on it now i was really dumb about that and in too much of a hurry and paying for it in the end. As you can see the inside of the spacer is completely hacked… and i’m not sure but no pilot bearing might have been a part of it.
Also, i check online. The part number of my ACT disc is 6240006. Which is the correct part number for my application. 90-96 300zx Non-Turbo. It also happens to be by coincidence the same part number for the 79-83 Turbo 300xz. But thats just a clarification that i wasnt using an incorrect disc..
And now i dont know about you guys but i’ve NEVER seen anything like this happening. Even daily driving it i’ve seen the metal twist apart on the clutch disc from using an unsprung but never the splines…
Pretty sure a combination of a welded diff, 1-piece driveshaft, unsprung clutch, and nearly solid engine mounts combined with it being daily driven had a part in this…